Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Surgery Complete!

It has been a long day. I got into the hospital around 5:45 am central time and got prepped for surgery. The nurses were very nice and some (unfortunately not all) had minnesota accents. The anesthesiologist pretty much said hello, went over the procedure for putting me to sleep, and moments later i was out.

Apparently surgery went very well. It was only 1.5 hours, finished by 10 am central time (I am assuming some of my friends were still in bed). The doctors were able to do everything laproscopically which was awesome. My cuts are small but still a bit painful. I have been on pain meds since surgery and they are great... Except the first one I was on, made my entire body itch from head to toe. That pretty much sucked because I was trying to avoid moving but kept wanting to itch and scratch everything profusely. In my mind the nurses were moving far too slowly to get me an antihistamine. But thankfully when I did get one I felt so much better.

After moving me into my room and out of the ICU, I am taking it easy. I have been watching all of my favorite food cooking shows. I am also dreaming of food like crazy. I have to be on a liquid diet until tomorrow. Who would of thought that after the months of eating like a horse I wouldn't be happy with an all liquid lifestyle. Guess, I just want balance. I am excited and would dance, if I could, that I don't have to eat cornstarch again!! Hurray.

Oh, and I did manage to get a short walk today and that felt good. My abdomen didn't completely hate me.

Overall I feel extremely blessed and grateful. Glad to be done with surgery, glad to have wonderful nurses and glad to have a very strong boyfriend to lift me in and out of bed. My mom is just super and is keeping my hair braided and my back scratched. Both of them are keeping me positive. Thank you to everyone for all the phone calls, emails, text messages, and prayers.

10 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad that pesky little nuisance is OUT, GONE, FINISHED!! Here's too a quick recovery and to having you home again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy it all went well...I have been thinking of you. Can't wait to see you when you get back. Should we have a good bye and good riddance ceremony for your tumor? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I am so happy because my sugars have been miraculously level. It's pretty amazing. A good riddance ceremony might be an order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I'm glad you are all better....sunday dinners won't be as "complicated" anymore! although I might keep up the whole wheat thing anyway since it is better. Hope to see you soon
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news, G! I'm so glad you're on the mend and can't wait to welcome you back home :) A ritual burning of a cornstarch box might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that the surgery went well! - cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so revealed they got the done so quickly. You are now officially another member of the non-gall balder club. More Mayo please. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Georgette! I'm so happy your surgery went well. I'm looking forward to seeing you when you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think a good riddance ceremony sounds like a great way to celebrate! I'm so happy for you! lots of love, a

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! It sounds like you are recovering fast! It helps to have a mom and an orthopedist on your nursing staff. We can't wait to see you when you get back here. My only worry is that you won't be able to eat friend chicken and biscuits every day when you guys are living in Birmingham, but I think you'll manage just fine. -kevin

    ReplyDelete